Frequently Asked Questions
-- How does this work?
- Earn points and Badges by logging your Reading. You can read (or listen to) any book you want -- it doesn't have to be off one of our reading lists or even be a Library book. Parents can count reading to their children for their own program AND for the Kids program.
- Read (and log) at least 2 hours in a week to qualify for that week's prize drawing. Unlock Games and earn more Badges as you log more reading.
- KIDS' PROGRAM has optional Missions and Reading Lists for you to earn extra points and qualify for more prize drawings.
- At the end of the summer we'll celebrate by awarding Congratulatory Certificates and holding Grand Prize Drawings
-- Kids complete Missions to automatically be entered in those Missions' Grand Prize Drawings.
-- Teens' Grand Prize Drawing slips are given out when you pick up your weekly participation prizes.
-- Adults who log at least 2 hours of reading are automatically entered into the Grand Prize drawing(s).
-- How do the Family Accounts work?
- At registration, you can indicate "I'm a parent registering my kids" and it will guide you through the process of linking all your accounts together. (You can also do this later by choosing to "Add Child Account" from your account page and then either link an existing child account or add a child from scratch.)
- You can login to your own account and easily switch over to your children's accounts if you want to view their progress or log their reading together. There's no logging in and logging out to do this from your master account.
- Kids can use their username and password to login to their own account.
- Parents: if your child wins a prize, an email will be sent to you and to your child notifying them of the waiting prize. If the same email address is used for both accounts, both emails go to that address.
-- How do you earn Badges?
As you gain points by Reading or completing Missions you will be awarded Badges for your efforts.
The Badge Gallery contains ALL the Badges that can be earned between all our programs: some may not apply to the program for which you are registered.
-- How do I get to play Games?
As you gain points by Reading or completing Missions you will unlock Games.
-- What are Secret Codes and what do I do with them?
At certain Library Events or at the APL booth at certain community events, a Secret Code may be shared which you can use for evidence that you attended the program or visited the booth. Log the Secret Code on your Dashboard or your My Log page: scroll down past the part where you Log your Reading to see the box for entering a Secret Code.
-- Can I change my avatar?
From your Dashboard page, click on the little button in the upper-left corner of your current avatar -- the button has the outline of a person's head and shoulders and a pencil in front of them.
Scroll down a little and click the red, "Drop image file here or CLICK to upload" words and you can upload and save your own image.
-- Are there weekly Prizes?
If you read (and log) at least 2 hours each week, you will qualify for the weekly prize drawings (exception: Teen Program - all who log at least 2 hours in a week will win in that week's drawing).
Winners will be notified Monday afternoon, following the drawings, via phone or email and when they login to this site. (Parents: if your child wins a prize, an email will be sent to you and to your child notifying them of the waiting prize. If the same email address is used for both accounts, both emails go to that address.)
-- What about Grand Prizes?
- Kids: you must complete Missions to qualify for any prizes other than the weekly drawings. Each Mission states the potential prize.
- Teens: Grand Prize Drawing slips are given out when you pick up your weekly participation prizes.
- Adults: log at least 2 hours of reading to be automatically entered into the Grand Prize drawing(s).
Grand Prize winners' names will be drawn on August 21, 2017. Winners will be notified by phone or email. To pick up prizes, winners must show photo ID or their Library Card at the appropriate APL service desk.
-- What are the weeks of the 2017 Summer Library Program?
Week 1: June 12 - 18
Week 2: June 19 - 25
Week 3: June 26 - July 2
Week 4: July 3 - 9
Week 5: July 10 - 16
Week 6: July 17 - 23
Week 7: July 24 - 30
Week 8: July 31 - August 6
Week 9: August 7 - 13